Hotfix KB971030 Released

Posted by Hugh Ang at 9/02/2009 04:58:00 PM

You can finally download this hotfix from here and the detailed information is available here. According to the information posted there, it is a fix for an access violation problem when making virtual function calls to the IList<T>, IEnumerable<T>, or ICollection<T> interface. I am not sure yet if this is another manifestation of the same dispatch token problem I described in my previous blog or the CLR team simply bundled together several virtual dispatch bug fixes that just include what I found.

I ran the same test harness that I used before and confirmed that the hotfix does indeed resolve the problem.

I was having some trouble installing the hotfix today but eventually got it installed. It turned out that my OS was Vista SP1 and I had to upgrade it to SP2 in order to install the hotfix. If you have another OS and wondering about the same question as Chris Dion had, the hotfix should be applicable to Windows Server 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks
My blog

Unknown said...

Thanks for the hint.
However I am looking for NDP20SP2-KB971030-x64.exe and I am just unable to find the downloadable file.

Any idea where I can get it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hugh Ang said...

Fancois,

Do you have access to this link? http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=21630

You can get the msu file for 64 bit.

Hugh